We haven’t done much baking in the last few weeks….so hot here in Kansas. Finally, I made a batch of cookies, since the kids were back to school this week! So–I took advantage of the hot oven and tried out a new recipe! Peanut Butter Bars have been a favorite of mine for years, but I needed to “THMify” them! This recipe is adapted from my husband’s Aunt Darla’s Peanut Butter Bars. As soon as I saw a sugar-free version of sweetened condensed milk, I knew I needed to try to make a version of these sweet treats!
Lots of butter, oats, coconut, sprouted flour and sugar-free chocolate chips did the job! I am SO excited for how these turned out! These are the most “normal” bars I have made yet and boy were they rich!
I was perfectly surprised to calculate the carbs in these bad boys! (actually good girls!) Ha! They have 22 carbs per serving which is amazing considering the rich taste and list of ingredients! This recipe is not hard to make…..BUT, you do need to plan ahead! These peanut butter bars contain homemade sweetened condensed milk, which is best made and cooled in the fridge a day ahead or hours ahead of time. BUT, so worth the extra step! I was SO excited to find this recipe from Nana’s Little Kitchen! 7 minutes to make in the microwave! Yay! Here is the recipe for Seven Minute Low Carb Condensed Milk!
If your keeping track of your carb intake, this recipe is a Crossover for you Trim Healthy Mamas. It includes healthy carbs and healthy fats. Don’t overdue it on these, as it will stun any weight loss—but if you need a rich dessert that is amazing and still considered healthy, this is a great option! I am currently nursing my sweet baby boy, so am eating a lot of crossovers (I mean LOTS).
Hoping you enjoy these as much as I do! I used my favorite product again, called Bake Believe Dark Chocolate Chips! I could eat these by the handful–I can find these at SOME Walmart stores, but not all! I used a sweetener with Monkfruit and Erythritol for this batch and you can find it here. My husband is not used to the sweeteners I use in my recipes, so IF you have acquired the taste, it should be a winner for you too!
Keep your body, mind and soul healthy! ~Marcy
Peanut Butter Bars – THM Crossover
- Medium Pyrex Bowl
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 Cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- 1 1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Sprouted Flour
- 1 Cup Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet or Equivalent
- 1/2 tsp Black Strap Molasses
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Mineral Salt
- 1 Cup Butter Unsalted
- 1/3 Cup Natural Peanut Butter
- 1 Cup Bake Believe Dark Chocolate Chips
- First, Make Nana's Condensed Milk. Recipe BELOW in notes!
- After 4 hours of cooling in refrigerator, make bars.
- Start by putting old fashioned oats, sweetener, coconut, and flour in a bowl and stir.
- Melt 2 sticks of butter in microwave safe bowl and pour over dry ingredients.
- Stir until mixed. Save 3/4 cup of mixture to the side.
- Push mixture into bottom of 9 X 13 inch pan.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes until slightly browned.
- Stir condensed milk and peanut butter together in separate bowl.
- Pour milk mixture over slightly cooled bars.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup of saved mixture over milk. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of bars.
- Bake bars at 350 degrees until slightly browned or 25-30 minutes. Cool. Serve.
Other recipes you may love!